The world belongs to all those who wake up early. However, to wake up one needs to sleep well first. Sleep has a direct impact on every sphere of our life, and everybody knows its importance. For instance, good sleep helps to cool down our body. The human body is like a small powerhouse which works continuously on a 24-hour basis. Like all machine, our body also needs to switch off from time to time to avoid problems. Hence, this switch- off mode is known as ‘Sleep”. Good sleep not only restores our mind and body but it also has other numerous advantages.
But why do we sleep? It remains a mystery, and various scientists have put forward many theories to explain this phenomenon. First of all, the inactivity theory also known as the adaptive or evolutionary theory suggests that by staying inactive, it keeps us away from any harm. Scientists came up with this theory by studying the animal sleeping patterns. According to this theory, animals that stayed still during these periods of vulnerability have more chances of survival than others who remain active. They did not have an accident or were killed by predators. This specific behavior later evolved, and we now recognize it as sleep. However, a counter-argument to this theory is that it is much safer to be in a state of consciousness, to respond quickly to emergencies.
Clues That a Person Lacks Sleep
- If you don’t get enough sleep, the impact is directly felt by the person and the outcome seen as he feels tired the whole day an unable to carry out the daily activities. During the day one often experience micro sleep during the day. Here is where you find an individual burst into a deep sleep during the day uncontrollable. This usually happens for a very short period to as much as less than a minute or even to a maximum of 30 seconds.
- One fails to have a good sleep or fail to sleep. They trigger feeling dazed during daytime and results in sleeping while on work. This will directly affect the output of an individual; this usually forces them to go ahead to take some drugs to keep them awake. These drugs at the end are found to have adverse effects on individual’s health.
- Sleep debt is what they will continually feel during the day, trying to compensate all those hours you stayed sleep instead of sleeping. This usually increases when you continuously miss out on your sleep. Another signs that one experience when he or she doesn’t sleep well may include things such as leg cramps or experiencing tingly sensation and snoring. Let’s look at how not sleeping well can affect your health.
- Getting enough sleep is essential; absence of quality sleep has many unfavorable and physical effects on you. Sleep apnea is a common condition that is as a direct result of lack sleep. Sleep apnea is a situation where the breathing system is affected due to lack of enough sleep. And if it is treated well and timely is can lead to various diseases such as cardiovascular and stroke disease and type 2 – diabetes. The danger of these two diseases, diabetes and sleep apnea becomes worse when one is overweight. Hypertension becomes difficult to control, and it becomes more difficult for a person t lose weight when suffering from sleep apnea.
Body Health Issues from Lack of Sleep
- Lack of sleep can lead to dark circles and big lines on the bottom of your eyes. When you don’t sleep, the body is made to produce excessive tension cortisol hormone that breaks down the collagen on the skin of an individual that is responsible for making the skin to remain smooth.
- Another health problem is lack of sleep is anxiety and stress. People who don’t sleep well are most likely to get stress and anxiety conditions ten times than the normal people who sleep normally. Increased stress will automatically increase the risk of insomnia.
- The poor immune system is another health effect of lack of sleep. It is believed that when you don’t sleep well or not at all, your body immune system is weakened, making it easy to be affected by various viruses such as acute rhinitis.
- One can also develop breast cancer; there is a discovery on the growth of breast cancer with reduced sleeping hours. Both males and female experience absence of libido, with inadequate sleep individuals, tend to have reduced urge to sex.
A good sleep provides an opportunity to the body to repair and to renew itself. Besides, what is more, surprising is the fact that being deprived of sleep can lead to death. It has also been observed that we have three times more chances of surviving from food deprivation than being deprived of sleep. Try all you can to get a proper deep sleep daily by ensuring you sleep on a good mattress – check out SleepingCulture for various brand and type of mattress, to let you have comfortable sleep.