The city of dreams derived its present name from the earliest inhabitants- the Koli community who worshipped the goddess Mumbai. Mumbai, with a population density of 20,694 people per square km is stretched to its seams, but Mumbai is a city of much wonders as well. It is home to a rare original manuscript of the Divine Comedy which is housed at the Asiatic Library. But the number of guests doesn’t end here as Mumbai was the city which opened India’s first airport in 1928 and as a matter of fact, in 1903, the first 5-star luxury hotel- Taj Mahal was opened. From the first railway terminal goes the first electric rail system, Mumbai has always believed in leading through example.
Want to visit this pulsating city? Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport acts as the air gateway to it. It welcomes both national and international flights and so you will be able to book Cheap Dubai to Mumbai flights, Kathmandu to Mumbai flights, London to Mumbai flights, and LA to Mumbai flights and many more so.
Now that you are here, let’s hand you a list of what you can do to not just take in all about the city but enjoy yourself in the process as well.
- Shop for souvenirs: In such a densely populated city, it is expected that it will have loads of markets- you can find literally anything in here, from shoelaces, second-hand books, phone repair shops, and even translators.
- Read Indian authors: This might sound weird for people who are travelling, but slowing down and picking a book of native authors will allow you to know the country through the eyes of someone experienced. You check out the book collection at stores like Crossword or Kitab Khana. Most bookstores will have a restaurant of their own so that you can enjoy it while sipping on a cup of warm tea or enjoying some snacks. If you are on a budget then there are secondhand bookstores as well.
- Appreciate the architecture: The architecture reflects the colonial past of the city, which is marked by the British rule- From the Taj Mahal Palace hotel to the Gateway of India and then the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, Bombay High Court and more, Mumbai has always awed its visitors.
- Sunset at Bandra fort: While the sunset at Bandra fort can vary depending on the pollution levels, but you can rest assured that the views from Worli Sealink Bridge are always impressive. But Bandra fort itself is impressive but you better get ready for some bargaining with the rickshaw pullers to get there. If you are lucky then you might just get to experience the colours creating shadows in the water
- Taste the street and gourmet food: Mumbai offers everything for everyone- there is something for people within a budget. Food is actually one of the best ways to explore Mumbai. You should try out the Pani Puri which is delicious and spicy. Then you can have lunch at hipstery Kitchen Garden or at local restaurant Candies, and enjoy a cold coffee with a cake at Coffee by Di Bella. There are a lot of places where food is amazing; you just have to go on a trip to taste it all.
Mumbai is a city for all- here everyone will get something that they cherish- it could be a souvenir or it could be vibrant memories of a city which is thriving and will continue to do so.